Nothing excites a dog more than a ride in their owner’s car. Whether it’s a long drive or a quick trip to the park, the prospect of adventure is sure to make your dog all giddy.
But taking your fur baby on the road isn’t as simple as putting them on the back seat. There are a few things you need to consider before you and your dog can enjoy a relaxing drive.
A dog hanging their head out the car window is a very common sight for most drivers and while cute it isn’t exactly safe. This is why keeping them restrained but comfortable should be your first priority. There are a few ways to do this.
- Crate - This is perhaps the most effective way to restrain a dog in your car. However, its main downside is that your dog will only have limited room to maneuver leaving them unable to fully enjoy the ride.
- Car Harness - A harness provides minimal restraint letting your dog move around while still ensuring they are secure. This is perfect if you prefer to let your dog ride shotgun.
- Car Barrier - Attached to the front seat of your car, a barrier essentially lets you divide the interior into two separate compartments. This provides your dog with the most freedom but also increases the risk of them being thrown around the car during sudden stops.
Now that you’ve decided on how to keep your dog secure during the drive, it’s time to put your attention to your car. Dog’s tend to leave a mess in your car ranging from loose fur to dirty paw marks resulting in you having to clean-up after every trip.
Getting a seat cover is a quick and easy way to solve this problem with the added benefit of keeping your pooch comfy as well as protecting your upholstery from scratches and tears. So what makes a good car seat?
- Waterproof- Nothing ruins a good car interior quite like the smell of wet fur and pee so having a seat cover thatprevents liquids from seeping into your your car is a must.
- Durable - Dogs have a tendency to scratch and chew surfaces so a cover needs to endure a lot of punishment to be worth your while. Quilted polyester dog car seats are great in this regard.
- Sufficiently Padded - Having thick padding ensures that your dog is comfy for the duration of the ride.
- Quick To Install - No one wants to spend more than 10 minutes preparing the car for their pooch. Seats with easy to attach straps, clips, and buckles means your car is dog-ready in less than a minute allowing you to be on your way.
- Fits Your Car - Not all dog car seat covers are created equal and so don’t forget to take into account the shape and size of your car’s interior when choosing.
Home Away From Home
Once your car is fully prepped for your pooch it’s time to think about the destination. Whether you’re going down to the local park or taking a long road trip, you need to make sure you pack a few creature comforts for your dog.
- Collapsible Bowl- Having a collapsible bowl or two means your dog can eat and drink anywhere without you having to carry a bulky metal bowl.
- Multi-Purpose Food Pouch- Worn on your waist, this pouch lets your carry dogs teats,poop bags, and your valuables in a convenient manner. Handy when going doing dog training at the park.
- Toys- While your dog might consider riding in your car an absolute treat, you can always add to the fun by bringing a few of their favorite toys with you.
- Dog Paw Cleaner- Spending time outdoors means that your dog will inevitably have dirty paws. A portable paw cleaner lets you quickly wash off mud and dirt from your dog’s paws preventing them from making a mess of your car.